Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Follow up EEG

Today was Finn's follow up EEG since he has been on the ACTH. Unfortunately, we will have to wait until Thursday for the results. I watched the EEG machine the whole time, but it was hard for me to determine if the brain waves were any better. I know what to look for when he has a spasm, but he was crying most of the time during his EEG today so his waves were still kinda chaotic looking. I don't know. Like Tom Petty said 'the waiting is the hardest part'.










We are in week 4 of the ACTH treatment, he is down to every other day and a smaller dosage. I have been getting super paranoid about the meds not working anymore. I have noticed that his newborn reflexes have come back to a degree. They only happen when he is laying flat on his back, and they are not even close to what they looked like before the ACTH, but still is this a sign. I keep trying to tell myself the doctors told me not to pay attention to those things, they are benign and he will eventually grow out of the them. But I can't help it. They stopped all together for 3 weeks, and now they have sort of came back...is this foreshadowing...? Finn also has been an awesome sleeper the past 3 1/2 weeks, but the past 3 days he has been horrible. He has only been sleeping a total of 4 hours, and not even in his crib...It has been on me. Could we just now be seeing the side affects of the steroids?? My body got used to sleeping for 8 hours a night, and it is not handling this 4 hours a night crap very well.


Finn continues to do well in other aspects. Like tummy time. He is a champ at that still. His head control gets stronger every day. Here he is sitting in his bumbo seat, something he could only sit in for like a minute before his head would fall back. But look at him!






Also, his car seat. He doesn't fuss when he is in it and usually ends up falling asleep in it. I might start driving him around at night to get him to sleep...something I never thought would work for him. Also he is getting better with solids every day. He has moved on from oatmeal to carrots, and so far so good. I took this video of him today. It's amazing. He would never sit in his high chair long enough for me to even attempt to get any food in him, but now it's different. It is seriously like night and day.

Here's hoping we get good news on Thursday!

3 comments:

  1. Finn is handsome as usual ;) and I will be crossing my fingers and toes for good news on Thursday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kasey! We have never met but I am an old friend of Ethan's...I have been very closely following your updates and I just wanted to tell you that I pray for you & your family every single day!! As a mother I cannot imagine what you are going through but your updates and words are always so positive and loving. I know what a wonderful, caring person Ethan is and know you must be exactly the same :) I will continue to pray for Finn and your entire family...and btw, Finn has to be one of the cutest things I have ever seen!!
    <3 Katie Swartz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kasey, I knew that you were a strong beautiful person, and I've been following finns story since day one... Even though we were never close, I think of you guys often, and I'm amazed at the strength and positivity you've managed to find through such difficult times. I admire you for that, and I keep you all in my prayers... Finn is such a sweet, handsome, and inspiring little guy... My heart smiles when I see new pictures of him... hes got a cheerleader in me!! :)

    ReplyDelete