Thursday, May 16, 2013

Sleep Study Results

We got the results of Finn's sleep study and it was not what I was hoping to hear. They said that all of Finn's oxygen and CO2 levels were normal, even though he snored 90% of the night it is nothing that concerns them. Well this upset me a little bit because 3-4 nights a week Finn wakes himself up by gasping for air or his snoring is so loud that it wakes him up. I still think he has sleep apnea, but he did not do this during the sleep study. So they will not treat him for sleep apnea. They did however think his startles/twitches were the reason why Finn does not sleep well... (which I agree) so they wanted me to try giving him iron supplements. Apparently this is how they treat restless leg syndrome and they think that is what Finn has...even though I know he doesn't. So I have been giving him iron for the past 3 weeks and nothing has changed in his sleep patterns...so we can scratch that off the list of reasons why Finn does not sleep. After dealing with this issue for 23 months I have some theories on why Finn does not sleep. 

1.) Kids with neurological issues usually don't sleep well...maybe I will be dealing with this issue for the rest of my life...God I hope not
2.) Finn still can not roll himself over...whether it be from back to tummy or tummy to back. So when he wakes up after being a sleep for a few hours he wants to change position and can't get there by himself.
3.) I think his crib mattress is too hard for him. Finn has spastic CP which means he has really tight muscles and I do not think that a firm mattress feels good on his little body. Also he does really good in our bed which is a feather top mattress.


Even though Finn still is not the best at sleeping, I must say he has gotten so much better. He no longer gets up in the middle of the night to eat, which is great. Slowly but surely I think Finn will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment