Monday, June 11, 2012

Speech Therapy

2 weeks ago Finn had a Speech Therapy consultation. She came during one of the home visits with his OT. She asked me a lot of questions that were similar to the developmental tests the neurology office did, but since Finn was in his own environment I believe he performed so much better. The speech therapist was able to watch how Finn and I interact together, and how he responds to his OT. After she had seen enough these were her exact words, 'I am so impressed with him'. She kept saying how smart Finn actually is especially considering everything he has been through and what he has to work with, and how much he understands what we say to him. She said she would put place him in the 6-9 month range of his receptive communication. That made me feel like such a proud mommy. She was very sweet and told me I am doing everything right when it comes to his language...she really liked the way I talked to him and how much I talk to him. If anyone is around Ethan, Finn and I on a regular basis you will know we talk to Finn all the time...we sing to Finn all the time and apparently it has benefited him so much. This consultation was just so encouraging. It is amazing how his language was the main thing I was worried and concerned about since the left side of the brain is responsible for language, but it is actually one of his strengths. He knows so many words and responds so well when you talk to him. I seriously think he understands more than I know yet. She also said she is confident that we will get him saying more words. I almost cried when she said that. The way to get him to say more words is getting his mouth desensitized. Normal babies always put things in their mouths, which gets them ready for solid foods...which helps them learn to close their mouths, swallow, move their tongue...Finn doesn't do any of this. His OT and I are working so hard to desensitize his mouth. I am always sticking my finger, food, toys in there in hopes to achieve that. I just think back to like 4/5 months ago when I thought he would never get the hang of pureed foods, but he did. I am confident he will get the hang of more solid foods...it will just take some time. But overall I was very excited to hear how positive the speech consultation was!

No comments:

Post a Comment